Manassas Journal Messenger | Woman treated for smoke inhalation, recovers in local hospital
The Manassas-area woman injured in a house fire Monday evening remained at the hospital Tuesday as she recovered from smoke inhalation and burns to her hand, said Tim Taylor, Prince William fire and rescue spokesman.
Dawn Talbot, 35, of 10844 Caraway Circle in the Sudley area near Manassas, was melting wax on a hotplate for an arts and crafts project in her basement just before 5:30 p.m. Monday. Talbot burned her hand when the wax began to boil and overflowed its container, Taylor said.
Talbot rushed to a bathroom and put her hand in cold water. She then went upstairs to get a spray to treat the burn. When she returned to the basement she saw flames and tried to put the fire out, and she further burned her hand, Taylor said.
Talbot called 911 after burning herself, but then tried to put out the fire. She was taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital on Monday night and was treated for smoke inhalation, smoke inhalation burns and first or second degree burns to her hand. Her 3-year-old child who was home with her at the time was unharmed by the fire, Taylor said.
Talbot’s husband, Kenneth, was not home at the time of the fire, Taylor said.